A Transform event documents when any traceable product item is irreversibly changed into another traceable product, either by changing its physical properties or the way it is grouped/tracked.
A transformation might occur when raw materials are processed into finished products. Alternatively, it could occur when multiple lots of a certain product are irreversibly combined at a facility (comingled), thereafter to be traced based by production run. No matter the type of transformation, Wholechain makes sure you'll have visibility into the inputs and outputs that comprise each of these real-world events in the traceability journey.
- Each transform event consists of input product(s) and output product(s)
- Transform events allow for the use of templates. You can use a template that a Network Partner has shared with you, or create a custom template in the Templates page.
Transform into a single item manually
One way to log a transform event is to change one or more items into a single output item, in which case it is simple to enter the output details manually. The single output item could be a lot with multiple units, but it only represents one line item in your inventory.
- Navigate to the Products page from Wholechain's left-side menu, and click on the product you'd like to transform.
- Select the product item(s) you'd like to transform, and click Actions > Transform.
If you wish to transform only part of an inventory item (for example, if you have one item representing your entire inventory and you only pick 100 lbs of it for this PO) edit the quantity of input product you'd like to transform. Next, select the output product and a Transform Template, either that you've created previously or received from a Network Partner.
- Select the Manual option under Data Entry Method, and manually fill in the fields with the information surrounding the given transformation.
- Click Log Event. If you've transformed the input into a different product, it will instantly appear in the Current Inventory page of the output product. If you've transformed it into the same product with a new traceability unit, you'll see it appear in the same list it started in.
Note: You can use the same output product as you input into this event if you wish to represent the comingling or shrinkage/quantity change of product items.
Transform using a CSV upload
Another way to log a Transform event is to upload your output product items using a CSV file. This makes transforming into multiple items much more accurate and efficient.
- Navigate to the Products page from Wholechain's left-side menu, and click on the item you wish to transform.
- Select the item(s) you'd like to transform, and click Actions > Transform.
- Edit the quantity of input product you'd like to transform and select the output product and a Transform template.
- Select the CSV Upload option and then click Download CSV Template. A CSV file will automatically download containing column headers that match the fields from your Transform template and selected output product UOM and optional identifiers.
- Fill in the CSV template with all of the requested commission data, and save the file to your computer.
- Upload the CSV by either dropping the file in the upload field, or clicking Drop Here to Upload. Note that the table is editable, so when the data uploads you can make any changes within the drawer.
- Click Log Event. If you've transformed your input product into a different product, it will automatically appear in the Current Inventory page of the new product. If you've transformed it into the same product, you'll see it appear in the same inventory in which it started.