Note: All Ship events are written to the blockchain to capture the chain of custody and movement of the product.
- Ship item(s) to a Company in your Network from your Current Inventory
- Batch ship multiple products and items
- How to log a Ship event to a customer not on Wholechain
- How to Ship items to locations within your business
Ship item(s) to a Company in your Network from your Current Inventory
Here's how to capture shipping a single item of your inventory to a Company in your Network in Wholechain.
Batch Ship multiple products and items
Our batch ship feature allows you to easily consolidate ship events for multiple products, lots, and shipment dates. You can group these items based on actual shipments, or to reflect multiple shipments that dispatched over a period of time.
- After logging a batch ship event, each line's individual ship record will appear as a separate line for the recipient to receive into their inventory.
- You can include multiple products and line items in your batch ship event as long as they are all assigned to the same location in your Wholechain account. In other words, batch shipments can only go out from one location.
- You can split quantities and assign pallet or container identifiers in each line to mimic actual logistical units shipped.
- Navigate to the Shipping and Receiving page.
- Click Actions > Batch Ship, and a blank Batch Ship template will appear. At any time while setting up the Batch Ship event, you can press the Save button in the top right to save a draft of the record.
- Select the location your product will be shipping from using the Ship From dropdown. Again, Batch Ship events can only ship items from one location, so only items at the selected location will show up as options to be included in this event.
- Select the recipient using the Ship To dropdown as well as the delivery location.
- Assign your Batch Ship record a Ticket ID, and select which blockchain you'd like the ship event details to be written to. Select the date of shipment or click the "Multiple Dates" check box if line items were shipped on different dates.
- You can either upload a CSV file or manually input the information about your batch shipment. If you use a CSV, download the template and fill out the CSV based on the column headers of the downloaded file. Otherwise, click Add a row to add each item, and select each line's product and item using the dropdown fields that pull from your current inventory. Using the Edit, Save and Duplicate buttons, make sure the dispatch dates, quantities, logistical unit IDs and PO numbers reflect each item you are shipping.
Once you've filled in and reviewed each line, click Ship. You’ll see each line item appear as a separate ship event record in your Shipped Inventory folder with the status "In Progress" while it's being written to the blockchain, followed by "Pending." Once the recipient confirms or rejects the ship records in their account, their statuses will update accordingly.
Note: Another way to ship multiple products at once is to first aggregate them, which means simply group them together for shipment or storage. As soon as your products are aggregated, simply follow the steps outlined above for single or bulk shipping.
How to ship to a customer not on Wholechain
It's possible to log a ship event even if the recipient is not on Wholechain. Navigate to your Network page and select to Add a company using the button in the top right corner of the Network page. Simply indicate that the Company is not a Wholechain user and fill in the Company details.
The steps related to logging the ship event will be exactly the same as if the Company had a Wholechain account. The difference is that the ship records cannot be "confirmed" upon receipt by the Company in Wholechain, so they will remain in Pending status. Please note that until the downstream Company joins Wholechain, the visibility into the supply chain will end at this event.
How to Ship items to locations within your business
Our internal ship and receive events document when a product moves internally within your company or organization. This is applicable for companies that are vertically integrated, or who move product between business locations while maintaining custody. The product maintains its physical properties with an internal ship/receive event while the location changes. Business locations can be set up in the Business Settings of your Wholechain account.
Navigate to the
Products page from Wholechain's left-side menu, and click on the product you'd like to move between locations.
- Select your own Business as the recipient Company and select the location you are transferring the product to. The option to automatically receive will show up. If you wish to have both the Ship and Receive event captured at once, select this check box and input the receive date. If you do not wish to automatically receive the product, it will appear in your Pending page after you complete the Ship event.
- If you wish to include any custom data in this event, you can also select a data template.
Click Log Event. If you did NOT automatically receive the event, the product you've shipped will move to your Pending box in Shipping & Receiving with the status "Pending." If you automatically logged a receive event, watch for the notifications that indicate that the two events were successfully logged. Do not refresh the page during this time or log out if you want the events to successfully write to the blockchain.
Select the item(s) from the Current Inventory tab that you'd like to transfer, and click Actions > Ship.